January 11th 2015 - the World Map

2 posters

Go down

January 11th 2015 - the World Map Empty January 11th 2015 - the World Map

Post by Gr33nChip Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:28 am

Game design talk - the World Map

I will not go in-depth of other aspects of world building just yet, however I have to touch on some mechanics (that will be more explained in future posts) in order to reveal why this map fits the story and the mechanics.

This project started out with the idea of what the basic gameplay should look like and immediately after, I started working on the story. The plot of course demanded certain geographical elements; in particular: a main continent, partially separated across the middle, a remote island and a smaller bit of land at the middle of the map, surrounded by a body of water and I needed the whole map to be circular. I started drawing my own "fantasy" map after going through a lot of tutorials on the subject. However, I was never quite satisfied with my map and kept tinkering with it. Until one day I came across a map of an "ice-less" Antarctica. I realized that it contained all necessary elements, so I scraped all my previous attempts and started world-building on this map.

The white color you see is land and black represents the ocean. The plan is to add even more walkable surfaces. Ice surfaces for example are planned to surround the Antarctic continent and they behave different from land as ice can be broken up or melted. As you probably figured out, I am doing a reverse climate with the ice-less Antarctica surrounded by ice, which should intrigue the player. This climate change ties in with the story, as well.

January 11th 2015 - the World Map M72ygUK

I previously mentioned that I chose this map because it fits the mechanics of the game as well. The mechanic I had in mind was the death system (more about that next time). In short, you will "respawn" after you die at the middle of the map, which means the further from the center of the map you go, the more risk you feel and that ties in with the apocalyptic frost that is spreading towards the continent, and the sense of danger you are supposed to feel as you move away from the warm center. Again, I am just touching on some mechanic and story elements here, more details about those are coming soon.

January 11th 2015 - the World Map 7uOlxhj

As you can see, the size of the world is not exactly small.
January 11th 2015 - the World Map HW3jjZw
Gr33nChip
Gr33nChip
Admin

http://greenchip.playogame.com

Back to top Go down

January 11th 2015 - the World Map Empty Re: January 11th 2015 - the World Map

Post by Bes Sun May 24, 2015 9:12 am

were are you lol

Bes

Back to top Go down

Post by Gr33nChip Sun May 24, 2015 10:58 am

Bes wrote:were are you lol

Always right here. Sorry for not posting anything but my free time schedule is non-existent. I was busy with school the past few months and I've also been concentrating on other projects in my free time.

I over-designed this game to the point that I realized that I can't tackle it with my current skills and time. Features that I wanted to see in the game just kept piling up, and I won't make this game any less that what I want it to be. Therefore I started working on a few smaller games. Hopefully I'll finish a few this summer.
The grand RPG Project though, I don't know. I've been helping out some other programmers with their games and they might return the favor. That would be the only way that this game could come out in the near future.

I should be posting more updates though.
Gr33nChip
Gr33nChip
Admin

http://greenchip.playogame.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum